Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ramson and Delirah




Inspired by the Wild Garlic (Ramson) Pesto currently being stocked by Silke of Corleggy Cheese I headed out in the cool of this evening to the demesne of Howth Castle to ‘forage’ for my own supply of the wild herb. I was overjoyed to discover a glut of it just outside the gates to the castle. Feeling like one of the Famous Five, I gathered enough to (hopefully) make a decent amount of garlicky pesto tomorrow. There are a lot of nettles in the same area which came to my attention as one viciously stung me as I was greedily filling my bag with ramsons, if anyone is interested.

On the related matter of eating in season, here is a selection of what else is at its best in Ireland at the moment.

Basil
Beetroot
Broccoli
Carrots
Cauliflower
Chervil
Chives
Coriander
Cucumber
Dill
Leeks
Lettuces
Mint
Cultivated Mushrooms
Nettles
New potatoes
Onions
Parsley
Radishes
Rhubarb
Rocket
Salad leaves
Scallions
Sorrel
Spinach
Watercress

No comments:

Follow 9BR on Twitter